[alt-photo] Re: Alternative sensitiser

Peter Friedrichsen pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 19 12:27:04 GMT 2010

Kees,

In regards to the slow hardening of gum. I believe what you say in
regards to the slowness may be the problem. I did an experiment once:

I added a ferrous salt to gum arabic and it remained liquid. I then
added a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to the solution to convert it
to the ferric form, and it immediately hardened as a clumpy
precipitate. The same thing happened with gelatin but perhaps it just
is not quite fast enough with gum, when the peroxide has to compete
with water dissolving it off the paper surface. The only conclusion I
was able to draw here is that the ferric/peroxide will harden gum.
Perhaps something can be done to slow the dissolution and give it more time.

Peter Friedrichsen