[alt-photo] Re: new MFA program in alt!

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Mon Apr 19 15:26:41 GMT 2010

Judy et al,

I agree with a bunch of what you said. I'm a small collector as well as
photographer, and I just can't bring myself to buy an inkjet print no matter
how much I like the image, I just can't do it especially at the prices I've
seen. And it seems like everything out there is inkjet these days.

I like inkjet for a few things, to make little books at home, family snaps
for relatives, little greeting cards with my images...mostly digital
negatives, which I still feel a little funny about making.

A friend who teaches photography at a big art school here in LA tells me
that the darkroom is no longer taught, or is glossed over in an afternoon,
alt is not taught at all...mostly concept and photoshop.

It really pains me to hear this because if you substitute my other
discipline, which is music, and decide not to teach Bach and the rest of the
canon, plus don't teach how to play an instrument and just substitute
electronic sampling and sequencing...well then, all bets are off for the
future of music.

As far as schools go (for anything), I hear that students are not interested
in history, of what came before, they are looking to be original. They don't
understand the value of a foundation. Just take a look at the work
proliferating out there and it'll confirm this.