[alt-photo] Re: new MFA program in alt!

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 19 16:10:15 GMT 2010

Have to agree with all of this.  I went to a mixed-media juried
exhibit recently, and I was stunned to see that of only nine
photographs that were in this show (of ~ 80 pieces of artwork), all
were inkjet prints (though mostly given fancier names-- and based on
this show, doesn't seem "giclee" has gone out of favor yet).   I was
also stunned to see the prices attached to these not particularly
compelling (image-wise) and mostly over-saturated inkjet prints.  Of
course, there were no red dots on them, but still-- I went away
thinking I needed to raise my prices.

I had a conversation recently with someone I know who is going to be
teaching a summer workshop at one of these nationally recognized
places, and he commented that one of the issues he'll be discussing is
the pointlessness (my word, not his) of making small prints.  His
comment was that people have to consider how many of those small
prints they'd have to sell in order to make any money, and that people
really needed to print big . . . I was so dumbfounded by the comment
that before I could respond, some other issue came up-- probably a
good thing as I wasn't even sure where to begin with a comment like
that.

And following up on what Paul said here about people looking to be
"original" and not caring what came before-- I have actually heard
several people say to me in the last year that they're so glad they're
"self-taught" and aren't bogged down by worrying about what came
before-- that they're really not interested.   Whew.

On the upside, I was invited by a former student of mine, who is now a
full-time graduate student at a nearby university, to come and talk to
their student group, to show my work, and I was invited to a gum
workshop they're having, as well as to a pinhole class.  So that will
be really interesting.  I was excited to learn that alt processes
still seem to be alive and well there.

I'm curious about this new MFA program that's in the works, though.
While that sounds like a good thing, I'm really wondering how many
universities will actually be looking to hire new MFA graduates whose
specialty is alt processes?  Maybe Christopher James knows something
we don't.  Otherwise, unless there's a very heavy dose of digital to
go along with that, I can't imagine alt processes is a real calling
card for somebody looking for a job.  But maybe this means more alt
process printers and interest in all things alt is on the rise?

As I've probably stated before, I am sick to death of seeing nothing
but huge-ass digital prints everywhere I go.  Even their larger than
life sizes seem to have lost their initial impact-- on me, anyway.

Diana