[alt-photo] Re: new MFA program in alt!

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Mon Apr 19 19:05:42 GMT 2010

Hi all,

2010/4/19 Diana Bloomfield <dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net>:
> the bigger the print, the higher the price tag
> you can put on it.  I  tend to forget that some people actually do this to
> make money. ;)

Well, in my case big prints can't make money, because:

1. Indeed, big prints raise an expectation of a high price tag. If I
price them high, they're not going to be sold -> people aren't willing
to pay "big"(!) money for photography in Turkey. Why would they bother
to pay that much for something they can make too(!)...??? (Their point
of view, not mine.) Then, if I price them low (remember it's all about
big prints), then it means I'm not worth for their attention / money,
because I don't value my own work. Kind of a vicious circle...

2. Big prints require big venues / rooms / walls and pose real
logistics and design / decoration problems. Small prints are sold much
easier and faster...

> Sadly, he probably has a point.  I am so tired of this big-ass digital print
> phenomenon, though (which, I suspect, is directly correlated to our
> society's growing obesity problem), and consistently surprised by how many
> people are drawn in by these (mostly soulless) big-ass prints.

Well I happen to like Andreas Gursky's huge prints with all the soul
they have in their apparent soullessness. I mean not all big prints /
images are bad, very much like the fact that not all small prints are
necessarily good... Some images work printed big, some work printed
small. To me, all depends...

Regards,
Loris.