[alt-photo] Albumen, Cyano, larger printers - oh my!

Chris stratton at sunlink.net
Fri Apr 23 13:21:32 GMT 2010

Hello Alternative Photographers!

I just finished a late night session of albumen and cyanotype printing, and have a few questions and observations..First

the two main questions:

1) May I invite some discussion of how to get a uniformly dense layer of New Cyanotype on papers such as Arches Platine and 'acidified' Fabriano Artistico? (note - I have not tried the kindly recommended 5% HCL 'until the bubbling stops' for a pre-treatment of the F. Artistico paper, but anticipate doing that soon). I've been using a glass rod, but haven't mastered the calculus of applicator pressure, number of passes until too much grain is raised, sensitizer volume, etc. I am tempted to FLOAT the paper, in search of uniform density.

2)Can anyone recommend a large, possibly monochrome, format printer for REALLY BIG STUFF? - one which might be available on eBay, used, with (ideally) some sort of continuous ink supply.. I'm headed towards the idea of a 300 dpi (or even less?), graphics type of printer for 'near poster size or larger' negatives.

Observations, in no particular order:

1) 2.5% Borax toner seems to lighten and then shift towards gray the "new cyano" images. I wonder about using lead acetate...
2) The Hypo fixing (sodium thiosulfate or sulfite - don't recall this morning - plus a smidge of sodium carbonate) - seems to lighten the Albumen prints.
3) Double albumen (alcohol bath between) coated F. Artistico paper does seem to result in raising the paper's grain.. wonder if the ETOH plus NH4CL albumen could be SPRAYED on to harden the albumen????
4) Can anyone encourage me that gold toning or other is worthwhile for Albumen prints?
5) The hair dryer seems to make no difference (no fogging) w/ the albumen prints.

Well - that's enough space taken up in your great list-serve postings for now.

Thank you for the past great help!  Chris