[alt-photo] Re: IDEA? NEW ALT PHOTO BOOK

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Fri Apr 23 16:41:08 GMT 2010

Christina...

These are all very good questions.

Personally, I like to put down at least two layers before PVA sizing. I have
noticed that the layer after the size has a harder time adhering, hence I
should probably expose more or develop for less time. But then again, there
are so many variables going on in any print, that I haven't taken the time
to try and pin it down.

I think that someone (Keith Gerling) also mentioned a while back, that he
found layers were less stable when re-wetted. Would things be more stable if
we exposed the print to UV after drying each layer? Just a thought here...

I don't know if the print really sits on top of the PVA any more than the
gelatin. I look at it as just helping the already-sized paper along as its
original size gets diluted with repeated soaking. This is all very
unscientific of me but is what I'm thinking.

Paul