[alt-photo] Re: gold process

Alberto Novo alt.list at albertonovo.it
Thu Apr 29 20:26:29 GMT 2010

Christina,

> There has to be a connection between Dalla Tana and Stellatelli somewhere, I bet...wouldn't you think?

I don't think so. Stellatelli was a chemist, experimenting for years how to
work with toners and this without Internet. When toning locally, you have to
avoid contaminations and reaction among the different toners just how a
painter mixed his pigments (for example, never mix lead white with a
sulphide)

> ... you can be the one to discover (as I ask in the article) why Tektol works so well with the process and Dektol not as well. One has suggested a lack of hydroquinone.

 From what I have read, Textol is a cold tone developer. That is, the silver
grains are larger compared to those obtained with a hydroquinone developer.
I suppose that the silver plating would be due to the partial solution of
the silver image from the smaller grains and its deposition to the larger
ones.
I remember a very fine article on the plating process with many formulas in
a issue of World Journal of Post-Factory Photography.

Alberto
www.grupponamias.com
www.alternativephotography.com/articles/art102.html