[alt-photo] Re: Arista II OHP transparencies/gum

francis schanberger frangst at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 02:46:19 GMT 2010

First let me state that I am a big Arista OHP fan. With that said I do think
there are some minor issues with Arista.

Depending on the day of the week it is made (OK, just when I have ordered
it) it might come with interleaving sheets of paper or none at all with the
same size of transparency film. When I first started using Arista for the
vandyke brown prints in May of 2008, every box came with the paper
separators. Now none do except for one recent batch of 8 1/2" x 11".

Occasionally I have noticed "dings" that look like something a car collector
might look for when evaluating a vintage mustang for possible body work.
They never caused me any problems with continuous tones in my negatives.

I haven't compared different substrates in a while although I got a few
samples of pictorico from the vendors booth at SPE.

Like Paul said, it is a drop in replacement for Pictorico. I have used my
original workflow on both Pictorico and Arista which involve a couple of
curves to build up density. For some reason my students insist on buying
Pictorico because they are usually buying other things from B & H and I
provide them with a palladium curve built upon Arista. It still works for
their Pictorico.

The lack of a clipped corner can frustrate students so I find myself at
workshops clipping the corner off of transparency film ahead of time. I gave
a Vandyke Brown workshop last Saturday (Bruce, I'll get you handouts) and no
one used the wrong side of the transparency film.

So my question is "Who decided 17" x 22" was a good size for inkjet media?"

-francis

--
francis schanberger

www.frangst.com