[alt-photo] Re: Gum solution help needed

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Tue Aug 10 19:30:19 GMT 2010

On Aug 8, 2010, at 6:57 AM, Philippe Berger wrote:

> Attention: The old solution of Gum is very better of a new solution
> of Gum
> Why ???? because a old solution of Gum is more acid and it is very
> better for the picture
> For me the best gum solution is after 3 month of prepare
> For my self, i use my best gum with old solution of Gum of 1 year
> ago, i certifie it is very very best
>
> Sorry for my englis but
> A old solution of gum (3 month) is the best because the acidity is
> important
> The French Photograph Demachy use only old solution of gum

Phillipe, do you have a reference for this assertion that Demachy
used only old gum?  In Maskell & Demachy, 1898, which as far as I
know is the most comprehensive summary of Demachy's methods,  he
certainly doesn't suggest that he uses old gum, in fact quite the
contrary; he recommends mixing up fresh gum every time you coat
paper.   He stresses that freshly made gum gives the maximum
solubility, a quality which he values highly  since he suspects  that
gum's mellowness and softness is probably a result of its "superior
solubity, which allows the insolated coating of colour to melt and
run down, as it were, and form a kind of pate."  I don't know if
there's any scientific basis for that belief, but that's what he
believed.  He went on to say, "A solution of gum rapidly becomes
sour, and it is important for us to know the degree of solubility it
possess.  Although, therefore, the addition of a preservative (such
as a few drops of choloroform water) may arrest the tendency to
acidity, the safest plan is to use fresh-made solution for every
batch of papers to be coated, and thus be in possession of a standard
quality which will save us much trouble in exposure or development."

Do you have a later source where he changes his mind about that?

Katharine