[alt-photo] Re: Ziatype questions (update)

Richard Sullivan richsul at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 16 23:41:26 GMT 2010

Jalo,

You mention curves. Be aware that it is a printing out process and does not
behave at all like developing out processes when it comes to sensitometry
and step wedges. The image builds from the blacks up so an underexposed
print make only have the lower zone blacks and no mid tones or highs which
may be shown, though very pale in a DOP process. It will look like a very
overly contrasty print. Early POP papers came in only one contrast grade and
to some extent contrast could be controlled by exposure.

--Dick