[alt-photo] Re: gum curve question

Don Bryant donsbryant at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 19:03:33 GMT 2010

Henk,

Dear List,
Using the gum-curve via PDN to create digital negatives, the following
question came up:
Cleaning 'old-analogue-stuff' i found still a lot of Arista APHS film, so i
want to use it.
Making a digital positive and sandwich it with the APHS.
Now i was wondering about what curve to use: the one found with PDN making
digital negs is based upon UV-blocking of the ink used by the printer, but
for the sandwich 'normal' light is used to obtain the neg.
The question is what curve is to be used for the positive?
Now i tried the following : invert the positive, apply my 'PDN' curve,
invert again, sandwich and the result is a APHS negative.
Gum looks ok, but before going in tri-color printing i am open for any
suggestions :-)
regards

I don't know about everyone else but I'm confused as hell about what you are
attempting to accomplish or do. Can you run this by us one more time with a
bit more clarity?

So sorry to be so dense,

Don Bryant