[alt-photo] Re: Help Needed re: Camera Club Talk

Gordon Holtslander gjh at shaw.ca
Fri Aug 27 15:38:37 GMT 2010

Hi:

I got a friend into alt process by asking him to bring a medium format negative when we met for lunch.  I put the negative in a small printing frame with a piece of sensitized cyanotype paper.  We left the frame in the sun while we ate lunch - I covered it when I thought it was exposed.

After lunch we went inside and 'developed" the print in a drinking fountain.  He thought it was the coolest thing.  I had him "hooked"

It would be an interesting thing to try if you have easy access to UV light.  If not you could pre-expose it.

I also teach a 2 day workshop on pinhole cameras and alternative processes.  I emphasize how simple and easy it is to produce large format negatives and big prints with these tools.  I really like showing people the "magic"of exposing and processing a print.  My workshop participants are always astounded the first time they see a print exposed and developed.

I would suggest trying to demonstrate something really simple.

Gord