[alt-photo] Re: Tri color photos Russia

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 29 19:42:28 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christina Anderson" <zphoto at montana.net>
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2010 6:09 AM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: Tri color photos Russia

> Thanks to both Jacques for sharing these links. It is
> fascinating! More so to see what it looked like back then
> in color. I wonder how much gum printing was done at that
> time in Russia. Or tricolor carbon for that matter.
> Chris
> Christina Z. Anderson
> christinaZanderson.com

    I believe the original pictures were intended for
projection. The mystery is the exact method used for making
the separation negatives since many of the subjects are not
still life. There is indication in many of the pictures of
some relative movement between exposures, for instance color
fringing on wave surfaces in pictures of water. However, the
time interval must have been very short. There have been a
number of automatic "repeating" backs designed for this
purpose, for instance those where the plate holder dropped
from one exposure to the other, the filters being in the
holder. Panchromatic sensitization was known by 1900
although I don't remember the exact date.
    A number of these pictures, with digital manipulation,
have been posted on various web sites over the last year or
so. The LOC has very large TIF files of the scans, I think
of individual negatives as well as combined images, for
those who want to do their own manipulation.
    The images are of special interest to me since my
ancestors came from Russia, it gives me a chance to get at
least a small idea of what the world they immigrated from
looked like.
    There was a book published some years ago with pictures
by the "Czar's Photographer" This may have been Gorskii, my
copy is buried in storage somewhere.
    I did a Google search to find the book and found a
referece to another "Czar's photographer" named Ivan Bianchi
with an example at You Tube. I am on a dial-up so didn't try
to see what this is. The Gorskii stuff is at:
www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/gorskii.html
    Altogether a remarkable body of work.

--
Richard Knoppow