[alt-photo] Re: Tri color photos Russia

Richard Knoppow dickburk at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 31 01:45:53 GMT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "phritz phantom" <phritz-phantom at web.de>
To: <alt-photo-process-list at lists.altphotolist.org>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 2:28 PM
Subject: [alt-photo] Re: Tri color photos Russia

>  Am 29.08.2010 21:42, schrieb Richard Knoppow:
>>    I believe the original pictures were intended for
>> projection.
>>
> i think there is proof for that in the pictures. in pic 27
> the child on the far left moved its head during exposure.
> one can clearly see the red and green exposures and the
> blue one too a little. and only where all three colors
> overlap, the head (with some kind of baby hat on) has the
> correct white color.
> at first this totally baffled me, because i thought in
> prints it's always the additive method of color mixing
> that is used. but if those pics were intended for
> projection, it makes sense that the subtractive method is
> used. or doesn't it?
>
> please, experts, correct me, if i drew the wrong
> conclusions here.
>
> phritz

    While this is answered on the LOC site a direct answer
might be in order. Color by projection can be either by
subtractive or additive process. Additive is very simple,
three positives, each for a primary color are projected
through three projectors each with the appropriate color
filter. For subtractive color the light must pass throug
three transparencies sequentially, each removes some part of
the spectrum of the white ligh, hense the name subtractive.
The three transparencies must be in intimate contact. Each
is colored with a dye in the compliment of the color it
represents. Thus the Green transparency is dyed magenta.
Modern color films are all subtractive and all have all
three color layers coated on the same film, one on top of
the other. Additive color transparencies for simultaneous
projection could be made from these but this is not very
often done.
    A number of schemes have been developed historically for
making additive color on a single film. These range from
exposing multiple frames on one film to various kinds of
built-in filters. The most common filter type films used
either a distribution of dyed particals, often starch,
coated on top of or under the emulsion, or a network of
colored lines printed on the film or glass support just
under the emulsion. The colored material remained throughout
processing and was used to color the light during
projection. Prints and duplicates could be made from these
films but was difficult, especially duplicating since the
colored particals or lines had to exactly match. This is the
reason none of these processes was successful for
professional motion pictures where many prints must be made.
However, where the original film is developed by reversal
and used for projection they work pretty well and some films
of this type were available for home movies.
     The puzzle about Gorskii's process is the design of the
camera. While it obviously took sequential frames they must
have been taken in a very short time. There is some evidence
of subject movement bewteen frames but its slight and shows
up only where the movment must have been rapid.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk at ix.netcom.com