[alt-photo] Re: and a warning...

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Tue Feb 2 13:27:52 GMT 2010

Hi Francis,

Take care to add Solution C (silver nitrate) to A+B very slowly (almost drop
by drop) while stirring vigorously. It may lead to less precipitate. OTOH, I
always get a precipitate with VDB sensitizer. It's probably related to my
particular ammonium iron(III) citrate (AFC) batch, since I know someone else
who doesn't get any precipitate and they use someone else's AFC. My AFC is
from B&S, the other AFC which doesn't precipitate is from Sigma-Aldrich...
Who's AFC do you use?

Anyway, just let the solution ripen a couple of days (shaking it a couple of
times each day, e.g. once in the morning and once in the evening), then
filter it to a new container. I use coffee filters and I filter twice. There
will be almost no remaining precipitate; 1-2mm at the bottom of the 250ml
bottle at max! Draw the necessary amnt. of sensitizer with a syringe or
plastic pipette w/o disturbing the bottle and you're done.

Maybe it's the solids that are giving you troubles. OTOH, any iron present
in your water / brush / paper ... (you got it!) will definitely cause
staining, therefore pay attention to that also...

Regards,
Loris.