[alt-photo] Which current A3+ Epson printers for digital negatives?

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Wed Feb 3 15:13:19 GMT 2010

Sorry if that has been asked recently but I have two students asking me for
a printer recommendation, especially for making digital negatives.

I personally use HP9180 which is more than fine (very good UV blocking but
slightly coarser image compared to Epson's latest 38xx offerings...), but
they don't sell it in Turkey. We can only find its simpler brother HP8850.
(No closed-loop-calibration, simpler control panel but same printheads and
ink carts.)

Since HP's offering is pretty pricey (something like USD 725 - Yes, you read
it right, no typos; we have very high importation tax and VAT here...
Irrelevant, but we also have the highest prices on earth for gasoline:
Currently USD 9.12 / US gallon!), I also wanted to check for suitable Epson
printers.

The requirement are as following: 1) A3+ print size, 2) UV blocking up to
log 3.0, "w/o using black". Is there any good Epson product compatible with
that criteria?

Thanks in advance,
Loris.