[alt-photo] Re: Paper Negatives

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Tue Feb 9 04:40:21 GMT 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Diana Bloomfield wrote:

> I also assume that, just like paper negatives (unwaxed), often used with
> pinhole cameras, for instance-- they give a much softer, dreamier-- often
> more "other-worldly"--  positive image than does film or a digital
> transparency.  To see one or two of the same images made with a regular
> transparency, not a waxed paper negative, would be really interesting.  But
> I'm guessing that's the main reason for using them-- the resulting image is
> just that much more dreamlike and evocative.

But, if memory serves (and this WAS a long time ago), when we began doing
waxed paper negatives, there were few if any alternatives... We didn't all
have computers, in fact could be using a paper cup and a string to reach
"the list."

The irony may be that nowadays it can be difficult to get paraffin for the
waxing... it used to be sold in every grocery store for sealing your
home-made jam. (Besides which, "beeswax" is not necessarily among ordinary
art supplies.)

J.