[alt-photo] Re: Paper Negatives

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 8 23:42:48 GMT 2010

I also assume that, just like paper negatives (unwaxed), often used
with pinhole cameras, for instance-- they give a much softer,
dreamier-- often more "other-worldly"--  positive image than does film
or a digital transparency.  To see one or two of the same images made
with a regular transparency, not a waxed paper negative, would be
really interesting.  But I'm guessing that's the main reason for using
them-- the resulting image is just that much more dreamlike and
evocative.  At least, that's the only reason I'd go to that much
trouble-- but your suggestion that maybe it's also a way of
controlling very fast exposures (using only strong sun as the UV light
source) makes a lot of sense, too, Loris.