[alt-photo] Re: Paper Negatives

Paul Viapiano viapiano at pacbell.net
Wed Feb 10 05:35:00 GMT 2010

Diana,

I learned to make traditionally enlarged negs on APHS film and had great
results, although as you mention, it can be very tedious. I loved the
results though and still believe it to be the best for sharpness and clarity
on hot press watercolor paper. I'm looking forward to going back to working
with them in larger sizes to master the process (or maybe I'm just a
darkroom masochist). I feel I can learn a lot by working this way, but I
won't abandon digital negs.

The recent Irving Penn Small Trades show at the Getty Museum showed his
amazing platinum prints, of course using traditionally enlarged negs. They
were breathtaking in their clarity and tone. Penn, as many of you know, not
only used enlarged negatives but sometimes several different ones for
different areas of tonality in the same print. What a show!

Paul