[alt-photo] Re: Paper Negatives

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 10 12:28:47 GMT 2010

Hi Paul,

Thanks for showing those images; that's a really interesting
comparison.  I like both.  The relative softness (on the Rives) seems
to work well for those particular images.   I use Rives for gum
printing, and it's actually my favorite paper.  More than the clarity
difference, though, the difference in color intensity in your images
was notable between the 2 papers.  So I'm curious-- was that a
deliberate choice, or just what you're getting on the Rives, with the
paper negatives, compared to the Fabriano?   I'm wondering if they had
the same color intensity, if the softness difference might not be so
notable?

I understand the appeal (I think) of making those negatives the
"traditional"  way, but I absolutely abhorred that entire process.
Again, though, I just never enjoyed working in a darkroom.  It's
astonishing I stayed with photography, I guess.  I used to ruin a lot
of negatives, too, with alt processes-- which doesn't happen so much
anymore-- but if it does, I do like the idea that I can easily make
another one.  Maybe I just have a lazy streak in me.

Diana