[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative" printing?

etienne garbaux photographeur at nerdshack.com
Sat Feb 13 22:13:35 GMT 2010

Diana wrote:

>So have I just been out of it, or is this a new thing-- photographers
>who use Photoshop extensively, calling themselves "alternative
>process" printers?  I'm really curious about this and, I admit, also
>find it somewhat annoying.  (Okay. I find it really annoying, on many
>levels.)  It also seems a bit like false advertising to me, but I'm
>not buying their work, so I guess I shouldn't really care.  At this
>point, though, I can't see anything about digital as being
>"alternative."     So . . .  is it just me?  When did this start?

To paraphrase a former US philanderer-in-chief, it all depends on
what your definition of "alternative" is.  Originally, "alternative"
as applied to photo processes meant "not silver gelatin or any of the
silver-based color processes."  Often, it was used in an somewhat
broader sense, so that highly manipulated silver-gelatin images were
included.  Back then, digital inkjet prints were alt, at least if
they were called "giclee."

Now that digital has taken over as the mainstream photo medium, one
might think that digital prints wouldn't be alt anymore -- but it
usually takes some time for a term to shed its old meaning and adopt
a new one, so, linguistically speaking, digital "giclee" prints have
at least some claim to the term "alternative."

Best regards,

etienne