[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative" printing?

ender100 ender100 at aol.com
Sun Feb 14 05:12:51 GMT 2010

If it quacks like a duck......

I think "alternative photography" usually is thought of, at least on this list, as hand made prints using a variety of processes, many of them very old processes.  I agree that gelatin silver prints are probably in the realm of alternative photography at this point and the mainstream medium Inkjet Prints.  "Alternative Photography" though could be interpreted as more than just printmaking—could mean pinhole, zone plate, etc, since the term photography is more encompassing than just the printmaking side.  I think they all have their place as does inkjet printing.  I just happen to have gotten bored with inkjet printing a long time ago and have since worked with Pt/PD and Photopolymer Gravure (which is another medium perhaps searching for a proper name.)

I guess I enjoy seeing hand made prints more, at least when they are done well.

Regardless of the medium, It all comes back to the importance of good imagery, which sometimes gets lost in the process shuffle.

ok, back to printmaking.
--
Best Wishes,

Mark Nelson