[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative" printing?

Tomas Sobota tom at sobota.net
Sat Feb 13 22:27:23 GMT 2010

It seems to me that digital printers still have to find a term with which
they feel at ease. They evidently don't feel that "digital printing" sounds
artistic enough, hence their attempts to identify their work with other
techniques with more prestige. I remember a few years back when digital
printers called their work "carbon prints", to the chagrin of real carbon
workers. The idea was that black inkjet pigment-based inks have carbon as a
component. This might be true, but still, come on!
So now they call themselves "alt"? I didn't know that, but it's the same
reality twisting as before. Perhaps they should take a cue from early XXth
century photographers and start making artistic-looking digital prints. They
could call this "digipictorialism" ...

Tom Sobota
Madrid, Spain