[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative" printing?

Rene Hales Rene at qx.net
Sun Feb 14 16:35:32 GMT 2010

All generalizations are dangerous including this one. (have forgotten who
said that)

I do both digital AND some alt processes (a fledgling in this are though I
am taking workshops and trying to learn). I unashamedly label my digital
work as Archival Inkjet Prints as do many of my friends living in this area
- some being highly regarded photographers with credentials.

I recently sponsored an alternative processes show (with international
entries) and we clearly spelled out the processes that would be acceptable.
We had a wonderful response with many types of alt-photography represented.
It was an opportunity to educate the local community on the background of
photography and the exhibit was extremely well received.

I think we are feeling our way in the digital age. And, I don't hold it
against digital photographers who don't know the history of alt processes. I
think the categorizations and intent will become more clear. And, it is not
the process or the camera that makes a photograph, it is the photographer
and their vision.

Rene
http://www.pbase.com/halesr