[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative" printing?

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 14 17:03:03 GMT 2010

Hi Rene,

I agree that it's the photographer and his or her vision that makes
the image, certainly-- though the chosen printing process has a huge
impact and influence on that final image, in both how it looks and how
it's received.  If it didn't have such an influence, then everybody
would simply choose the same printing method.   And, actually, I have
to admit-- sometimes the camera does help make the image, or, at
least, impacts it hugely (think toy or pinhole).  Of course, that's
the photographer making that choice, but still . . .

Like you, "I don't hold it against digital photographers who don't
know the history of alt processes," but I think there are (primarily)
digital printers, who know exactly what they're doing when they say
their printing (not their photography) is "alternative processes" --
most especially when the language is manipulated in such a way that it
"sounds like" they're printing in what we think of as alt processes;
when, in actuality, they're making digital prints to sort of look like
what they consider an "alternative chemical printing process."   It
really is both manipulative and dishonest.  And in my experience, a
lot of gallery owners/curators don't even know what they're looking at
when they see an alt process print, so for digital printers to now
come up with this description of what they're doing as "alt process
printing" really just makes the attempt at educating gallery owners,
and others, about these processes, almost impossible.

Most of the photography I see these days, in galleries and elsewhere,
is the result of digital printing (usually BIG BIG digital prints), so
it really stretches the imagination-- at this point-- that digital
printers are still unsure about what to call themselves, or their
chosen printing process.  I don't quite get that.

Diana