[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative" printing?

Earl and Patty Johnson earlj at comcast.net
Sun Feb 14 16:59:37 GMT 2010

Is it time to retire the term 'Alternative'? Have the times changed
enough that the term ceases to be useful? At the time that 'alternative
photography' came to mean what most of us on this list agree on, digital
methods did not exist (or were not yet serious tools). The state of the
art involved the use of standardized, factory-produced, silver-based
materials to make beautiful photographs. As I understand it, the term
'alt-process' was coined to mean the production of beautiful photographs
where at least part of the process involved non-factory materials
produced by the hands of the artist. As a pinhole photographer, I have
considered myself a part of the alt-process crowd even though, until
recently, my prints were produced by with an enlarger on 'traditional'
silver gelatin (factory-made) materials.

In 2010, there is no longer the distinction between 'traditional'
darkroom photography and the practitioners of the alt-process methods.
Today's distinction is between processes that take place in the
'cyberworld' (digital image capture, image manipulation using software,
and printing with computer-based printers) and processes that involve
physical and chemical processes on film and paper. Would it be more
accurate and descriptive to say 'historical process photography' or
'traditional process photography' in place of 'alt-process'?

After reading this, it strikes me that I am trying to be too fine here.
I am far from a purist in any sense. My workflow includes processes
chosen from many periods of the 150+ year history of photography. My
image capture does not use a lens, but includes factory-made film. Some
of my contact printing negatives are produced digitally, using
technology that has come of age in the 21st century. I print on
materials that I coat myself as well as on materials produced using
mid-20th century industrial technology. I could be printing my salted
paper and carbon prints from wet-plate collodion or gelatin dry film
glass plate negatives, but I have chosen to take advantage of the
wonderful factory materials at my disposal. Likewise, the scanner,
Photoshop, and printer make it possible to know that the negative that I
print with is matched to the process that I am printing - I have removed
variables from the process at several stages by applying the latest
technology. If 'alternative' means non-digital, then I am not alternative.

So where does that leave me? I think that I will describe myself as a
lensless photographer who prints using historical processes. And I will
continue to subscribe to the alt-photo list and not worry too much about
who uses what words. The people who matter can tell when the words are
misused.

Earl Johnson