[alt-photo] Re: "Alternative Printing": Terms to define

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 15 23:31:27 GMT 2010

Hi Judy,

I was out teaching an alt process class today.  Oh wait . . .  or was
that digital??   ;)  Otherwise, I would have written sooner.

I understand your comments below, and when I am asked to give a
written description of my work, or a verbal description, I do readily
explain that my negatives are digital, made from scans of original in-
camera negatives.  I have no problem stating that, never try to hide
it, and-- in fact-- I typically carry on about the wonders of making
digital negatives. I'm happy to have that technology so readily
available to me.  I do not, however, view the use of digital negatives
in the making of a gum print or a pt/pd print or a cyanotype, etc, as
a "digital print," because-- well-- it's not.

I have no problem describing the work (and the process) exactly as it
is, though. I can even understand differentiating among digital prints
regarding inks (eg, pigment, dye, etc).  And with the proliferation of
digital, the importance of being clear about a b&w print takes on even
more importance.  If I've made a gelatin silver print, for instance, I
wouldn't want to simply label it a b&w print, but rather I would want
to make clear the distinction between that and a b&w print made
digitally, or in any other way.

And while Roger is correct that, technically, nearly everything could
be "alternative," since whatever we do is an alternative to something
else we might choose to do,  I think most photographers do understand
the term "alternative processes," and what that traditionally means.
Alternative (at least, for me) also means what I've always understood
it to mean-- that which goes against the mainstream, or the
established, or the standard.  I juried a local photography show
recently that had somewhere around 400 entries.  I can literally count
on one hand the number of prints that were *not* made digitally (from
start to finish).  When I start seeing 19th c printing processes
consistently represented to the same degree, I won't see the need to
call these "alternative" anymore, either.

And, really, when we're all dead and gone- but our archival alt
processes are out there living on forever-- and someone (a researcher
of all things photographic maybe?) discovers the work in a museum
archive somewhere, or, you know, in a tattered dusty shoebox in the
local "antique" store-- wouldn't it be useful or helpful  if we
actually labeled these prints accurately in the first place?

On a slightly related note,  I'm looking for fabric to reupholster a
sofa.  Do you think I care whether the fabric is labeled polyester, or
cotton, or silk, or some combination of those?  You bet I do.
Sometimes I can tell just by the touch when a fabric has no organic
substance, or if it contains linen or silk, for instance-- but not
always.  And when I can't tell, I tend to want to trust the
manufacturer to have labeled the contents accurately and honestly.  Of
course, I have the feds on my side in this case, and while I'm not
advocating that we get a federal requirement going to label our prints
accurately, it's sure a thought.  :)

Diana