[alt-photo] Re: Paper Negatives

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Mon Feb 22 12:27:04 GMT 2010

Yes, I feel the same about "not being studied very seriously" in the general
sense. OTOH, the content is described as "aqueous polyvinyl acetate
dispersion". It's not a wood product exclusively; the product datasheet
states: "general purpose glue for wood, paper, cover ect.", sorry for the
confusion, my bad. And your suggestion Planatol-BB description is equally
vague: "Universally applicable dispersion glue for all manual gluing jobs
involving absorbent materials..." Therefore, albeit being from a more
respectable brand, that product also is a black box to me, in the academic
sense.

The product I'm using is definitely suitable for gum dichromate IME. (I mean
it doesn't have a negative effect on the process; it works in a pretty
normal way.) I also thought about bookbinding glues but couldn't find a
product that was sold in small amnts; making research expensive to me.

BTW, I know there are many other practitioners using similar products not as
a size but (even!) as their "pigment binder"; see "Gloy" prints by some
English people, others (Americans) using "Elmers Glue", I also happen to
remember Jean Janssis' Mowiol (88% hydrolized PVAc) prints and so on...

Now, I'm not seaching for a justification at all and as you can understand I
have mixed feelings about the practice, simply because I don't have enough
data. (Same for all the products / methods mentioned above.)

Thanks & regards,
Loris.