[alt-photo] Re: ARCHIVALITY

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Wed Feb 24 19:20:11 GMT 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Loris Medici wrote:

> In short; you have to give buyers some figures (according to display/storage
> conditions) that reflect reality, I mean if you want to keep your
> credibility. Plus, as an *extra* selling point, those figures has to be
> better than (or at least equal to) what is currently effective for ordinary
> / mainstream digital prints.

Since my prints tend to have a fair amount of (visible) handwork and
density of pigment I assume they'd be hard to mistake for digital prints,
but I write to expatiate on the reasons already given for using
distilled water...

Unless you have your own private distillery, there's normal variation, by
season, by runoff from recent rains, what died or took up residence in the
previous source, the depth of the wells & more ... Plus, in a large source
like NYC's.... what the boys & girls at the pumphouse decided to add that
day (in line with the changing seasons, or if there's been a storm, or a
drought,etc.) can sometimes quite dramatically change the water -- and
that's not even counting what's going on in the vicinity.  For instance,
we hear about plans (on or off, now mercifully off... forever?  who
knows?) to drill for gas in the vicinity of the sources of NYC water.

I remember years ago, by the way, bringing home some water from Brooklyn
when I was teaching there to Manhattan where I live... I don't remember
the details, but it showed definite variation from echt NYC water !!  That
could have been from the managers of the physical plant who definitely
monitored the water supply, or from the heavens, but whichever, why take
chances?

Water changes probably wouldn't be serious for gum printing, which is
often a coat-and-see process, but for a highly calibrated medium like
platinum, water changes could be deadly. Tho for $1/gallon (I suppose I
date myself, that was the price last time I bought some) why take chances?
My time is worth almost that much.  And especially for a medium used in
small doses (like platinum), unless you're doing murals, a gallon lasts
forever.

Judy