[alt-photo] Re: ARCHIVALITY

Greg Schmitz gws1 at columbia.edu
Thu Feb 25 10:06:51 GMT 2010

Considering that the subject line is, in more than a few respects, an
oxymoron let me throw in my .02.  After 25 years working for archives,
and also being critical of some of the preservation practices of
archives - I can now say after working for the past 4 years for a media
archive that everything I have said over the past 30 years turns out to
be true :)

With regards to Judy's comment thatt if you're "somebody: an archive
will happily take your photographs on deposit, there may be a small bit
of truth to what she says but her criteria for what makes work desirable
are wrong.  Simply, don't hold your breath if you think any archive
wants your work unless you are somebody and you are very rich.  The
exception to that rule is if you have created a well documented body of
work that meets the mission criteria of the archive (for example if you
live in Tennessee an archive that collects images of Tennessee might be
interested).   For the last 2 decades most archives in The United States
that I am aware of, big and small, will not receive deposits without
funding for processing and storage.  If you think archives will gladly
accept your work because you are famous or nearly famous, think again.
If an archives does take your work, without a large endowment you will
probably be thrown on to the "back-log" pile and it may well be many
years before anybody sees your work again.  I can make one suggestion
for those of you who might harbor hopes that your work will be available
for years to come in archive - organize your work before you die and
give the archive a pile of cash.  Further, try to reach an agreement
with an archive before you kick-the-bucket.

What you print on is of little significance to archives.  Money for
processing, storage and your "relevance" to the archives mission is of
much greater significance.

--greg schmitz