[alt-photo] Re: clearing pd prints...

BOB KISS bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Sun Feb 28 03:46:36 GMT 2010

DEAR PAUL,

            I don't think sodium sulfite is sufficient to completely clear
pt/pd or pure pd prints.

            My first bath is always an acid bath:  1% oxalic acid when
developing in Pot Ox dev or 2 % citric acid when developing in Sodium
Citrate dev.

*****Please note that hypo clearing agent has both EDTA and Sodium Sulfite
as well as citric acid and a few other chems in it (from the patent
formula).  A number of people think it is only sodium sulfite and that
simply is not true!

            The 2 clearing baths following the acid first clearing bath are
as follows:

1)    EDTA
30 grams

2)    Sodium Sulfite
25 grams

3)    Water to make
1 liter

4)    (source: Pt &Pd Printing-Dick Arentz)

*****You must have both the EDTA and the Sulfite especially for pure Pd
prints.

            I found the EDTA to be pretty reasonably priced if bought from
the right supplier and I have found the following at Photog's Formulary.
http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopModules/StoreProductDetails.aspx?produc
tID=487
<http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopModules/StoreProductDetails.aspx?produ
ctID=487&tabid=0&tabindex=0&categoryid=0&selection=0&langId=0&Search=EDTA>
&tabid=0&tabindex=0&categoryid=0&selection=0&langId=0&Search=EDTA

                                    CHEERS!

                                                BOB