[alt-photo] Re: Malin's map/Raleigh

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 6 16:19:38 GMT 2010

Hi Trevor,

Wow-- small world.  I live in downtown Raleigh-- though not the truly
(and increasingly) hip part of downtown.

Well, as I said, alt process photographers seem to be scattered
throughout the state who do some really interesting alt process work,
but not sure you can see a lot of it in the Triangle area--  on a
"regular basis."   But, what the heck-- I'll just start by shamefully
self-promoting.  My own work is always on exhibit (and in a flat file)
at Adam Cave Fine Art, which is in downtown Raleigh on Hargett
Street.  I'm the only alt process photographer up there.  And
depending on when you're visiting, I will also be having a show at
Ravenscroft School's Visiting Artist Portfolio Gallery, located in
North Raleigh, and that work will will be mostly gum bichromate and
gum over platinum prints (also mostly made with pinhole and/or toy
cameras).  That exhibit starts in February and runs through early
March, I think.  You can also check out Artspace in downtown Raleigh,
on E. Davie Street (an art collective-- with mixed media artists);
there is at least one guy (Bruce Melkowits) doing alt prints there
(mostly kallitypes), and I think he always has something on exhibit.
Flanders Gallery, also in downtown Raleigh (West Street), doesn't show
much photography.  They represent a ~dozen photographers, but they
don't seem to actually have a lot of photography exhibits-- though
they did recently (a year ago) show the beautiful wet plate collodion
portraits of Kelly Anderson-Staley.  I think they now represent her,
so they should have her work on file that you could ask to see, I'm
sure. That was a group exhibit where I saw her work, and-- by far--
hers was the only work that was truly worth viewing in my opinion. (I
think they should have made it a solo show.) The portraits she up
there were stunning, though every portrait I see done in wet-plate
seems stunning and mesmerizing to me (and everyone has beautiful
eyes), so I've come to the conclusion that it's the process, not the
photographer.  :)  But definitely stop by there, because I would think
they have some of her work on file.

I also know several photographers in Raleigh who don't exhibit
anywhere "regularly," but whose work is really beautiful-- David
Hyman, a good friend of mine, does these exquisitely beautiful
platinum prints.  He was, some years ago, represented by the John
Stevenson Gallery, until he was told his work was "too small" (ie, 4x5
and 8x10).  But he has a great studio at his home, so you could see
his work there.

In nearby Durham, downtown (East Chapel Hill Street), you could check
out the gallery, Through this Lens.  The owner always offers some
interesting shows (Jerry Uelsmann is having an exhibit there starting
in mid-April through July, I think).  But not too long ago, he showed
some wonderful daguerreotypes by Jonanthan Danforth.  I think his work
is truly spectacular. I've never met Danforth, but I think he actually
lives in Durham.  I'm not sure if he shows at that gallery, or
another, on a regular basis, but I suspect Roylee (the owner of
Through this Lens) might have some of his work on file there.  I don't
often see Danforth's work exhibited, but maybe I just don't go to the
right places, or maybe he just exhibits out-of-state.  Craven Gallery,
also in downtown Durham (Broad Street) shows the work of another
excellent platinum printer (Caroline Vaughn) who also lives in
Durham.  That's sort of a very crowded "gallery," and unless it's
changed in the last couple of years, you have to sort of fight your
way through a maze of work-- but it's worth a visit, and I'm sure her
work will be hanging on the wall, or on the floor-- leaning against a
bookcase, or a piece of pottery,  or . .

And depending on when you might be here, a retrospective is coming up
at East Carolina's Gray Gallery, in Greenville, of John Scarlata's
work.  That's about an hour and a half drive from Raleigh, but I
suspect it will be worth the trip.  I think they'll have over 135
works of John's, spanning over 3 decades.  While all of it certainly
won't be alt process work, there will be definitely be some --
probably gum prints and cyanotypes-- not sure what else.  But that
show starts January 11 and runs through~ February 15, I think.

Well, that's all I can think of for now--though I'm sure I'm missing
something.  I didn't include links to all these places, but if you
want them, I can send off-list..   Do let me know when you're next in
Raleigh, Trevor.  Would love to meet you and am happy to lead you all
on a tour of these galleries and/or studios.

Diana