[alt-photo] Instability of dichromate, et al...was Re:"Moistened"

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Sat Jan 9 04:40:41 GMT 2010

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Trevor Cunningham wrote:

> Yikes!
>
> Never realized AD was so unstable!

I haven't followed the reasoning behind the theory that Am Di is "so
unstable," but I do remember a report in the early days of the list... The
finding (and, no, I don't remember who "found" it, tho it could have been
someone still here, in which case, hello?) -- tho, as I was saying, the
finding was that in order to get an "explosion" of any sort from ammonium
dichromate, it had to be hammered with a metal hammer in a metal frying
pan. Which is to say, if you're scared of gum, I can't really blame you
because non-gum printers tend to make such a holy shrek of the process...
But explosion....? Not. So put on your hazmat suit and try, just TRY to
get even a little bang (without setting a match to it, anyway).

I myself have lived, slept, shouted, and PERSONALLY EXPLODED, not
to mention jumped up & down, cursed & rent my garments on numerous
occasions in a room with lots of ammonium dichromate, especially the dry
powder (here being called "crystaline"??), but other forms as well, and
never got so much as a hiccup out of it.

Now someone said they used 9-year old am di (I don't recall whether powder
or solution was specified), but I'm not surprised. In fact I haven't found
any expiration date for the stuff. When they were closing out a chemical
lab at school, maybe 10 years ago, I inherited a half-full bottle of am di
powder, which from the looks of the bottle dated from the early 1900s, if
not earlier. Not to mention that when you buy am di, especially from a
source without a lot of turnover, that bottle of powder could have been on
the shelf since 1935 -- the last surge of gum printing before this one.

Recently, finding my studio in a shambles (if you could believe) and
unable to locate my usual am di, I started working from this decidedly
ancient stash.  As far as I noticed, everything behaved as usual.

But my point here is also one I've made before:  Gum printing is NOT
rocket science... and we probably still don't know all the variables --
effect of the paper, the size, the ratios of the mix, degree of soaking
into the paper when applying the coat, temperature and humidity, interval
between coating and exposure, light source, development (temperature,
agitation, duration, perspiration, effects of which are varied by all the
above factors, among others, including ingredients of the paint: pigments,
fillers, dispersal agents... omigod, *especially* dispersal agents), age &
source of the gum, and probably esoteric effects like what you ate last
night and how recently you bathed. Not to mention what the folks at the
pumphouse have injected into today's water.

Speaking of pigments, however, some are death in gum, some are swell,
which you can't know for sure unless you have the pigment number, not
just, for instance, "alizarin crimson." And supposedly identical pigments
can be manufactured from different chemicals in different mills.... and so
on, ad infinitim. (I remember using a color in acrylic paint, maybe
"Venetian red," which, when I'd finished the jar, was no longer available
from the same source, that particular mine having run out. I eventually
found a paint with the same name, but it was different across the board.

Not to mention that variations of development can be equally operative--
or more so...

In other words, strike "instability of dichromate"from your worry list.

Judy