[alt-photo] Re: Instability of dichromate, et al...was Re:"Moistened"

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 9 17:39:06 GMT 2010

Ammonium dichromate is an old "volcano demo" reagent. You can start the self-decomposition reaction by sticking a red hot nail to it, or perhaps a flame from the lighter and then if spews a green ash of chromium oxide in the air as ammonium dichromate is self-decomposing. DOne that a lot of times in the past, before all the regulations. Never had any issues with it. Heating it to very high temperatures in a closed container is however not advisable.

I am sure a lot of more seasoned chemists on the list have seen the volcano demonstartion or done it.

Marek