[alt-photo] ware cyanotype paper sensitivity

Earl and Patty Johnson earlj at comcast.net
Sun Jan 10 02:01:02 GMT 2010

I am new to this list, but I recognize almost all of your names from
other places. I hope that some of you can shed some light on my situation.

Today I coated some Mike Ware formula new cyanotype on Arches Aquarelle
grain satine, and it turned bluish/green before it even dried. I know
that this sensitizer is sensitive (pun intended) to paper chemistry, but
I expected this paper to work. Does anyone have experience with this
combination? Does the paper have an alkali buffer that can be
neutralized with a soak in something like citric acid solution before
coating? Or is my cyanotype solution bad and should be discarded? Or is
this paper verboten for new cyanotype?

I like the Ware formula - I get six or seven more steps in the Stouffer
wedge than I do with the traditional formula. However, it is frustrating
to coat it on expensive paper and see it fog spontaneously.

Thanks for any comments.

Earl Johnson