[alt-photo] Re: ware cyanotype paper sensitivity

Tomas Sobota tom at sobota.net
Mon Jan 11 23:43:47 GMT 2010

I don't think that it's so simple as to say "Mike pronounces it that way
so..." because the root 'argyro-' has been used well before  'argyrotype'
has been coined, so there is or should be an established way of pronouncing
it in English as there is in other languages. For example, histologists use
'argyrophilia' to denote the affinity of some tissues to be stained by
silver. This usage goes probably back to the XIX century if not before.
Just out of curiosity, how is 'argyros'  pronounced in modern Greek? I'm
familiar with classical Greek pronunciation, but not with modern Greek. Is
the sound of the gamma similar to the sound of the 'g' in Italian 'argento'?
BTW you cannot understand English. Only a good memory, a long practice and a
bit of luck can help you :-)

Tom Sobota
Madrid, Spain