[alt-photo] Re: voiced fricatives

Louis de Stoutz loudest at attglobal.net
Wed Jan 13 11:49:37 GMT 2010

Hi Judy, Loris, et al.

(Serious workers who are short of time please refrain...)

Although I'm aware that it's really bad manners for a looong time silent
lurker to suddenly jump into an already overstressed OT subject, I can't
resist "adding my grain of salt" (and be it silver-salt) as we say in
French for "intervening without having been asked" - quite different
from the English meaning of "taking with a grain of salt". So please
forgive me and take it as a compliment for the always entertaining
social exchanges on this beloved list.

As you know there are cultures (languages) where foreign words are
"distorted" and adapted to the local pronunciation, and others where
people try to stay close to the original. American English seems (to me)
to belong to the former, but if you nonetheless wanted to stay somewhat
close to the (modern) Greek pronunciation of "argyro", you would want to
go for "jee".

Loris' wonderful term of "voiced fricative" stands exactly for what you
found, Judy: Take a word like "yippee" or "to yip". In order to
differentiate the "y" from the ee-sound of the following "i", you will
have to put the tongue closer to the palate and thus the air flow will
be heard during the "y". That's how the modern Greek Gamma (g) sounds in
"argyro". There is no trace of a "d" and "sh" like the "dj" of "jee".

With kindest regards and apologies,

Louis

PS: Loris, isn't it funny that you send a link to the word "argyria"
just when I am reading about colloidal silver for immunity enhancing...
  Maybe a word of warning not to overdo it :-)