[alt-photo] Re: Chlorox Bleach Development of Gum

pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca pfriedrichsen at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 13 19:04:05 GMT 2010

Has anyone tried using an alkaline bath instead of the bleach?.

I haven't tried the bleach development but I have been working with
"gum" subing gelatine, or casein, and the print clears more readily as the
developer is made more alkaline. Salts I use are Sodium Bicarbonate
for a mild alkaline  solution pH of about 8, or Sodium Carbonate with
a solution pH of around 10.

A dilute bleach solution that I made up using about 200 ml water to
20 ml household bleach gave me a pH of 11.2. This is very alkaline.
 From what I understand, an alkaline pH changes the charge of
particles and cellulose, so they start to repel each other hence the
alkalinity of most detergents.

This would be good because it would avoid the use of hypochlorite
which is hard on cellulose fibers. This is just a hunch.