[alt-photo] Re: pre-shrinking paper

Marek Matusz marekmatusz at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 18 20:19:27 GMT 2010

Francis,

I second soaking paper with warm water (not hot). My experinece is that I could not find the hot water pre-soak did any better then warm water presoak, as a matter of fact very hot water soak tended to change the paper somehow (for worse). SInce gum is developed at room temperature so should be the soak conducted at room temperature. That was always sufficient for me. Now, there is another issue, that is ambient humidity. Paper will shirnk and expand according to ambient humidity. FOr example I have learned never to put first cyan layer on a rainy day. I always have difficulties registering on top of that layer.

Your drying of the gum coat should be consistent as well as it will affect paper size.

I have printed up to 13x17 with no issues.

It is helpful to mark a piece of paper with line and dimensions (full sheet works well) and do some pre-shrinking experiments. For example mark the fresh sheet, warm water soak 30 minutes, dry for a day and measure the shrinkage, next soak, dry, measure. See what you get. This way you can arrive at the procedure/paper that suits you. DIfferent papers shrink differently as well so you might want to look at that
Marek