[alt-photo] Re: pre-shrinking paper

Judy Seigel jseigel at panix.com
Tue Jan 19 03:22:20 GMT 2010

I agree with Marek's suggestions (below) & add that an effort to keep
humidity and timing constant is a big help-- That is, the time after
sizing, then the time after coating, plus temperature & humidity, as
constant as possible (for a given print)...  That's much easier than it
sounds if you can get in all your coats in a day -- but if you note on the
print something like "2nd coat next day" or whatever, that's good too.
But a print begun, say,in winter when the heat is on, then continued in
damp hot summer, is trickier -- (tho still doable -- at least
theoretically).

Among (other) strategies is dampening the back of the print and checking
as it dries... tho best is probably what AFAIK only  what's his name (the
Canadian) has -- a temperature/humidity-controlled workroom.

(Tho rough paper covers a few sins as well... and a great big print is
probably trickiest of all.)

Judy