[alt-photo] Re: evaporation of gum mixture

Tomas Sobota tom at sobota.net
Sat Jul 3 08:22:39 GMT 2010

I have never used prepared gum solution. I prepare gum in the original
artisanal way, dissolving gum arabic stones in water. Then, I keep the
solution in dark glass bottles, well stopped and preserved with a few thymol
crystals. Kept in this way, I have never observed any evaporation, not even
in a time span of years. So, what is being described is strange, and
probably related to the way that the commercial gum is prepared or
preserved.

I understand that buying prepared gum is easier and somewhat faster, but it
is surely more expensive and you never know with any certainty what is in
there. Preparing gum from bulk gum arabic stones is so easy, that I wonder
why it is not done more often, at least on the other side of the ocean ...

Tom Sobota
Madrid, Spain