[alt-photo] Re: ?: Re: Official press release about HPlarge formatnegatives

BOB KISS bobkiss at caribsurf.com
Thu Jul 15 21:28:30 GMT 2010

	I have been following this thread for a while and much information
and many interesting opinions have been shared.  I really do not want to get
into the question of the steps in getting to the final print.
	However I think a few distinctions should be offered.
1) I agree that no one will be interested in any print if the image is not
captivating in some way, even if in its subtlety.
2) It is very interesting that many of you who belong to this list and have
worked very hard mastering alternative methods of *printing* suggest that
image is all that counts.  If this were so you would post all of your images
to Facebook and be done with it.
3) One must remember that the OBJECT OF ART is also important and THIS is
the strength of alternative processes that should be presented to gallery
owners when trying to show alt prints.  Again, boring image?  No one wants
it.  But a great image presented with a creatively appropriate alt printing
process creates an object of art that is stunning and saleable.  Don't
forget, gallery owners are business people and they need to sell to keep the
doors open and track lights on.
4) Why do we do alt printing if not for the wonderful textures, colors,
tonalities etc presented by each process?
5) These are not just my opinions.  I learned them from a photo historian,
former holder of a chair in the graduate dept of Pratt, and NYC gallery
owner.  He said, firstly, the image has to be great.  Then you look at the
object of art itself and this greatly affects the desirability and price of
the print.  He has sold and continues to sell many vintage and modern alt
process prints, except that the vintage ones were not alt in their
day...they were "high tech" for the 19th century!  ;-))

			CHEERS!
				BOB