[alt-photo] Re: 返: Re: Official press release about HPlarge formatnegatives

Joseph Smigiel smieglitz at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 01:43:53 GMT 2010

> On Jul 15, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Alan MacKellar wrote:
>
> Are we not talking about art?  No matter what the process, it's the
> image that counts.

Uhh, no.  If I were confined to making prints from digital negatives
or using a digital camera to produce images, I would take up oil
painting in a greater capacity and create my images in that medium.
I consider myself a photographer/artist working in antiquated
processes that are unequivocally photographic, i.e., exposure to
light affects the material in use.  Digital cameras and inkjet prints
& negatives may be popularly considered photographic, but not to me.
They are something else and, for the record, the only time I feel
there might be something wrong with those products and processes is
when the digital image masquerades or is marketed as something it is
not (e.g., an inkjet print is not a platinum print or a carbon print
regardless of whether they are marketed as such by a gallery or artist).

So the process is very important to me and it does no good to argue
the point about the image being paramount.  I wlll never be convinced
of that and I have little hope of changing the opinion of those who
have embraced the digital imaging technology.  But, from what I've
seen, the choice of medium is important to the final image.  Degas,
Magritte, etc., were not that good at photography but otherwise were
great artists with images only successfully realized through a
different medium.  Their choice of medium made a difference to the
ultimate product.  Ever seen an Ansel Adams' in color?  Tell me the
process isn't important to the vision...  Do you think Vermeer would
use an Epson or an HP with Photoshop or GIMP on a MAC or PC,  Coke or
Pepsi,  or do you think he still might choose oils?

When I think of digital negatives, I always come back to thinking
they are technologically advanced, non-photographic light attenuators
akin to the materials used to make photograms.  Most of us have made
photograms, but with rare exception, it is not something we have
pursued.  I know how to make photograms (and BTW have made a few
9'x9' cyanotype photograms) and I know how to create digital
negatives and how to make prints from them (in Van Dyke, cyanotype,
gum, platinum, etc.,) and those light-attenuating methods seem very
similar to me and of equal (dis)interest.  And then there are artists
such as Man Ray and several contemporaries on this list who obviously
were/are both successful and prolific with the methods.  More power
to you.  It's not where my head is at.  YMMV.  But, I'm also not
going to dis you or somehow diminish your choice of medium.

As far as the recent announcement,  hooray that HP is finally working
with those who wish to use that technology to produce prints from
inkjet negatives.  Go for it & have fun.  Create whatever is in your
mind's eye.  Print them big, print them small.  Fill the wall.  Sell
a million of them through the gallery of your choice.  Do what you
enjoy and be successful.  Live long and prosper  \\ // _

But please don't insist that the process isn't important.

Joe