[alt-photo] Re: dilution of pt/pd

Christina Anderson zphoto at montana.net
Fri Jul 23 00:21:32 GMT 2010

Loris,

Thanks for all this; it is VERY interesting to talk about moles vs. standard solutions. It makes much more mathematical sense, like comparing apples to apples.

The formulae I use were traditional formulae "on the books" so to speak, so I didn't come up with them, and I've used them for years (10 maybe?) to satisfaction. But how would I know how much precious metal I have been wasting?? Now I wonder if that bleeding I experienced with Platine might have been related to something entirely different than the paper and humidity.

 From what I am gathering, below, I am using twice as much metal as I need in comparison with the FO you are saying.  Put another way perhaps, I am not using enough FO to reduce the metal that I am coating on the paper, correct?

Looks like you have taken into account the extra salt in the pd, did you also take into account the oxalic acid in the FO?

Yes I do care about the extra waste, and if you are certain that the ratio of moles should be 2 moles iron to 1 mole metal, then I have two choices it seems--to raise the amount of FO I use at time of coating or mix a weaker PD. Now that should save some $$.

Interesting, too, that even though my PT is referred to as a "20%" (10/50) it is actually only 15%.

BTW the gum literature is rampant with this confusion in the mixing of dichromates and gums.  A formula will be called a 20% when it is a 10+50, gum was mixed "2 in 5", Demachy used gum "twice this strong" (does that mean "4 in 5" or "3 in 5"???) and I would get so confused until finally one old book brought out this scientific inconsistency and just said, oh well. But with expensive metals if there is waste that is a different story.

Wish I was home in my dimroom pulling my step wedges out but that will have to wait (gasp) a month.

Chris

PS the old pt/pd formulae used 2 extra drops of noble metal per coating often, just to make sure there were enough...

Christina Z. Anderson
christinaZanderson.com