[alt-photo] Re: dilution of pt/pd

Loris Medici mail at loris.medici.name
Thu Jul 22 22:31:56 GMT 2010

  Dear Christina, just for an example of using molar notation, wherever
appropriate:

PD (as you state) is actually PdCl2, or maybe PdCl2.2H2O (means it's
hydrated with 2 water molecules.) I'll assume that what you have on
hands is the former...

1 mole PdCl2 = 177.33g (See this address:
http://environmentalchemistry.com/yogi/reference/molar.html. There are
many more in the web, therefore it's easy to find out this information -
as long as you know the chemical formula of the compound in question...)

Molarity is weight of compound (g) in 1000ml solvent.

Therefore, the Pd solution you prepare is:
5g PdCl2 / 55ml water (actual figues) * 1000ml / 177.33g (to find
molarity) ~= 0.51M (rounded)
(1 mole PdCl2 + 2 mole salt makes 1 mole double salt of Pd, therefore
the molarity of PdCl2 is equal to the resulting molarity of Na2PdCl4 in
your example; PdCl2 + 2NaCl -> Na2PdCl4)

In Pt/Pd printing, according to the reaction formula, you need 2 moles
of iron per 1 mole of noble metal. (Won't get into the specifics of
this; it's well documented in many places - such as Mike Ware's
wonderful site full of extremely useful information:
http://www.mikeware.co.uk/mikeware/Iron-based_Processes.html) Therefore,
your iron solution should be 0.51M * 2 = 1.02M (rounded)

The chemical formula for ferric oxalate is Fe2(C2O4)3.5H2O - as stated
by B&S, and it makes perfect sense to use their formula if you purchase
your FO from them, indeed. (See:
http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/articles/ferriccoalate.html) OTOH,
please mind that with FO, the composition may change from batch to batch
and/or supplier to supplier. That's why Mike Ware calls it an "ill
defined compound" - you can't be sure when it comes to FO... Anyway,
let's assume we're in the ballpark:

1 mole of Fe2(C2O4)3.5H2O = 465.829g (See the address above to check...)

15g FO to make 55ml = 15g / 55ml = 27.27% = 270g in 1000ml, therefore,
your FO solution is 272.7g / 465.829g ~= 0.58M

Now, there's something seriously wrong here; we should have come to
something near to 1.02M for the iron solution - assuming: (a.) The
formulae aren't correct and/or (b.) Your mixing instructions below don't
mean "add water to make" but "add x into y ml water" instead and/or (c.)
The B&S stated formula for FO isn't correct.

Using 0.58M FO for 0.51M Pd means that you actually will never be able
to use up all the Pd you have put on the paper, because you don't have
enough (molar equivalent) Fe in the coating solution. (0.58 < 1.02,
considerably.) Eventually it also means that you'll wash more Pd (than
what's needed) down the drain...

BTW, the strength of your Na2PdCl4 solution is: 0.51M * 294.21g (molar
mass) / 1000ml (according to the definition of molarity) = 15%. In other
words; less than Terry's 20% - which means he is actually washing more
of the precious metal down the drain, relatively - especially so if he
indeed uses 20% FO (< your 27%) as he stated in his last message...

You may not care for the extra wastage if you're getting good
"pictures", or you may care - that's up to you.

It's very late now, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm making
an "doubleplushorrible" mistake here...

Regards,
Loris.

22.07.2010 20:51, Christina Anderson yazmış: