[alt-photo] Re: Testing Paper PH

G Schmitz coldbay1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 03:08:07 GMT 2010

The primary methods for testing pH in paper conservation involve using
either "hot extraction" or "cold extraction."  It is usually best to
used distilled or boiled and cooled water since CO2 concentrations in
the water can lead to a "false" reading.

See for example:

http://ipstesting.com/T509pHcoldextract/tabid/155/Default.aspx

searching ConsDist might also provide some insights:

--greg

P.S. I know this topic has been discussed at some length before.  Might
be worth giving the archives a poke.