[alt-photo] Re: Klein Blue (ping Katherine...)

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Thu Jul 29 15:42:34 GMT 2010

Well, I didn't research it heavily either,  but enough to gather that
the makeup of the paint is  proprietary.  It does seem to be
generally believed that the pigment is ultramarine, although I can't
find an original source for that assertion, but that there's
something about way the pigment is held in the binder (PVA
apparently) that gives it its special quality.

I agree, you're never going to get anything that intense, or even
close to it, using ultramarine in gum printing.  Ultramarine isn't
one of the stronger blue pigments and is relatively unsaturated as
far as hue saturation goes.

I'm actually somewhat dubious that this is ultramarine;  it looks
more like pthalo than ultramarine to me, and if one can believe
Wikipedia--big IF--  the hue angle of the color  is 223 and the RGB
values are 0, 47, 167.  (Those values are listed as unsourced, which
makes me a little nervous, but that's Wikipedia; it's all potluck.)
But IF those are the accurate values for the color, then ultramarine
is an unlikely pigment, because ultramarines generally fall closer to
300 in hue angle.  The closest pigment to the hue angle 223 is PB 16,
pthalo turquoise, but you know what?  Now that I think of it, I don't
believe that 223 number that Wikipedia gives.  Because 223 is very
much in the teal-turquoise range, and I wouldn't put Yves Klein Blue
in that range at all.  So I'm inclined to discount those numbers.

I'd go with pthalo, in as heavy a concentration as you can manage
(the nice thing about pthalo is that it doesn't take much); to my eye
that will get you the closest possible to that intensity of color.
But you also have the transparency thing going against you.  One
description of Klein's paint describes it as industrial-looking and
very opaque, like gouache.  So maybe use gouache rather than
watercolor paint.  Just an idea, I don't know if it's a good one or
not.  Hope any of that is useful,
Katharine