[alt-photo] Re: Stoichiometry for the nonscientist

Katharine Thayer kthayer at pacifier.com
Fri Jul 30 22:50:10 GMT 2010

Alberto, I don't understand what you're on about here?

I was responding to David's bewilderment over an explanation he found
on the internet about molarity, which he didn't understand and which
I said was basically unreadable to the layperson, and which I have in
fact since traced to Wikipedia, as I suspected.  I wasn't suggesting
that the idea of molarity was suspect because it was found on
Wikipedia, for heavens' sake,  I was simply saying that Wikipedia's
explanations of things aren't always comprehensible or useful, and
its explanation of molarity was neither, in my opinion.

Stoichiometry is a very old idea in chemistry; I have known that for
at least 40 years, and I don't see that anything I've said here could
reasonably be interpreted otherwise.   For the last time, no, I do
not think that stoichiometry refers only to photography, or that it
dates only to photography's use of it, nor do I think that the idea
originated with Wikipedia.  All I did was try to explain the concept
in a way that people without a science background would find it
easier to grasp.  Someone wrote to me offlist after your first post
about this, "I swear that if you said it was raining outside where
you live, someone would jump in with a followup post somehow
correcting you."   I suppose that's par for the list, but  since
I've already told you that you're mistaken about this,  there's no
reason to keep repeating the misperception.