[alt-photo] Re: cyanotype [Triangle]

Diana Bloomfield dhbloomfield at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 2 20:20:44 GMT 2010

Hi Trevor,

Check out the Nasher Art Museum, on Duke's campus:  http://www.nasher.duke.edu/exhibitions.php
   Not alt process, but interesting contemporary Chinese art exhibit
right now (including photographs), as well as CDS, though not sure
what they have going on right now.  Check out all the art galleries in
downtown Raleigh, some relatively new:  Flanders (South West St); Adam
Cave (Hargett Street-- I have alt process work on exhibit there now,
including some new tri-color gums); Lee Hansley Gallery (Glenwood
Ave); The Collectors Gallery (Fayetteville Street); ArtSpace (Davie
Street-- I can't stand the stuff there-- way too commercial for my
tastes-- but most people seem to love it); Lump Gallery (S Blount
Street- interesting exhibit now, featuring video work); and be sure
and visit the newly renovated and reopened NC Museum of Art (Blue
Ridge Rd)-- it's spectacular.

All of those places have websites, so you can look them up for more
information.  Not much in the way of photography-- alt or otherwise--
but those places above are worth visiting.

With regard to humidity issues, I've actually never had a problem with
too much humidity here in NC-- believe it or not.  Where I work-- in
my house-- the room is cooled by air conditioning in the summer, or
heated in the winter.  So even though it's a very humid climate, that
doesn't seem to matter much.  I actually keep a humidifier where I
work-- so a cyanotype emulsion, for instance, won't just go sliding
off the paper once put in a water development.  Without the added
humidity from a humidifier, emulsions just don't seem work all that
well for me.

I'm guessing you're not working in air conditioning up there in the
mountains, Chris?   I would guess it's not a humidity issue, though;
rather, when I get odd colors like that, the reason is usually the
choice of paper, or possibly expired chemistry.