[alt-photo] Re: cyanotype and brushes?

Trevor Cunningham trevor at chalkjockeys.com
Sun Jun 6 20:07:07 GMT 2010

I've added some images to that cyanotype section of a page which remains
in development. My biggest problem right now is controlling how evenly
the emulsion is spread. I'm using foam brushes (I know them as brushes
used for wood stain) because I can't find a quality brush to save my
life here. However, the problem with these is controlling the amount of
solution that gets on the page. I have a series of brushes to remove the
excess...this does the trick, in part, and produces interesting
inconsistencies in the prints, however I'm seeking greater consistency.
Can anyone recommend a good brush? I've used hake before and those just
slopped solution everywhere...wasn't very impressed (I found foam better
for some reason). I remember someone on this list speaking of something
along the lines of a squeegee (I know glass rod is a bust for me).
Ideas? Has anyone ever tried make-up sponges? The growing collection is
here: http://www.chalkfoto.com/Cyanotype/